Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Trucker Thanksgiving

So it's the beginning of the holiday season.  Thanksgiving is tomorrow and we are waiting for our trucker to get home.  Even though I know better, every time I hear he has that load that will get him home in time to get plenty of rest and cleaned up before the holiday I get my hopes up.  So here we are again.  He was supposed to be home in a few hours.  But in the typical trucker life (at least ours - some of you may experience a better version of trucker life and if so I am really happy for you), the load was switched for one that takes longer to complete.  From this side of it, I always have mixed feelings.  I know freight slows down this time of year so every load he can get is a blessing.  But on the flip side, the kids and I really miss him and enjoy that little bit of extra time with him.  Fortunately, the kids are in a pretty good routine so they won't really notice the time missed because Daddy isn't supposed to be home according to that routine.  In addition to the load being changed, then something usually goes wrong which involves a call to road breakdown.  So that whole process extends the time out that much longer.  I was a little irritated by this point, mostly with myself.  I know better than to plan on him being home before he actually walks through that door.  I'm thinking that he's already been told he doesn't have a load for Friday so we will still have some extra time together.  Next thing I know I'm getting the text saying he has a load for Friday.  So what was supposed to be 3 1/2 days of home time has shrunk to 2.   1 of those days is Thanksgiving so it will be spent with extended family.  So in reality we have about 1 day of time together.   I am thankful for those 2 days and very thankful for the money that the loads will bring in, but I am still feeling that frustration of not getting that time with him. We have spent Thanksgiving apart before as I am sure some of you will be doing and my heart really goes out to you as well.  I am sure that I sound ungrateful to those of you away from your families but that is not my  intent.
What is your typical trucker Thanksgiving?  The frustrations/highlights of it?  The parts of it that you wish the non-trucker families would understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment