Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Simple Fall Centerpiece

I love to decorate but sometimes on a budget that can be very difficult.  To help with that I find things that will last through the whole season.  In this case that means it needs to work for Halloween and Thanksgiving.  I also try to find things that I will be able to use again.  So while I love real flowers, I tend to go for fake because I can use them year after year.

My Inspiration: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/326862885426319706/  This pin is about making outdoor planters with the craft pumpkins from Michaels.  I wanted the same idea but for inside.

How I Did It:  
First I bought my materials.   A craft pumpkin from Michaels and I ended up using 4 different kinds of floral pieces (1 of each).  2 different kinds of flowers, 1 fall leaves, and 1 of what I call lanterns.  My husband used an exacto knife to cut the hole for me.  This is a great time of year to buy all the materials because most of them are on sale.

Step 1: Cut the stem out of the pumpkin with the exacto knife.  This creates a big enough hole to put the flowers in.  Our looked like this after:


Step 2: Separate any stems that need separating and cut to the right length.  I did this with regular scissors then bent the stem back and forth until it breaks.  Only downside to this method is that it can leave a sharp point.  I did not cut all my stems, only the leaves and lanterns.

Step  4:  Arrange the stems.  I started with the combining the two types of flowers I had.  Then I added the leaves and lanterns.  

Final Product:

No comments:

Post a Comment