Monday, October 7, 2013

Party Planning - The Food

This is probably the most difficult portion of the party as a truckers family.  We have found that the best way to handle this is to keep it simple.  Our family travels quite a distance to celebrate with us so we always try to have a meal.  We serve a variation of the same meal for every party.  To keep the cost down I sale shop and use coupons for as much of the food as I can.  The only things that cannot be bought ahead of time are the fruits and vegetables.  We usually go with hotdogs and hamburgers or drumsticks on the grill with a veggie plate or salad, a pasta salad, chips, fruit skewers or fruit salad and ice
cream.  If someone offers to help we usually accept.  This really helps with the stress on my part, trying to care for the kids and make all the food in the few days before the party.  I also make the cake and/or cupcakes.  If I do both one is chocolate and the other is vanilla.  By making them myself it saves me a lot of money and gives me special moments with the kids as they both love to help me bake.  It is the most time consuming food item, but also the most important.  We reuse any cake sets we can or use small toys to decorate the cake with.  After the party the kids get the toys to play with which seems like a better use of money to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment