Monday, October 28, 2013

Adjusting to Life Changes

I had my allergy testing done last week.  So very happy to be able to take my medicine again!  We have known that I have always had environmental allergies that are more on the severe side of things.  This time I wanted to make sure that I got tested for everything that I have noticed reactions to which included foods...some of my favorite kinds of food.  Turns out that I am severely allergic to lobster and every food I was tested for I was allergic to at some level...Also, my environmental allergies have gotten worse and there are more of them....
So our house will be undergoing some pretty big adjustments, some of which we are not at all happy about.  Lobster, shrimp and crab are all things that have been treats in our house.  Very special treats.   These special treats are things that the Colonel makes to show me how much he appreciates me or when we have reached a goal.  Now we can't have any of them.  They can't even be cooked in the apartment which means that we now have to change some of our holiday celebrations.  No more seafood restaurants either.  We are still adjusting.  I am glad that I know and I'm very thankful that I haven't had a serious reaction before now.  But there isn't much that we do that is as special as the seafood so I am dealing with some not so pretty emotions about that.  We will get there I'm sure, just another thing we have to adjust to.
We will also be making adjustments in how we live.  Namely to our bedrooms.  The rest of the house is fairly allergy friendly already.  However, everything that we need the kids to stay out of usually ends up in our bedroom. 
While I was sitting in the doctor's office wanting nothing more than to scratch my arms, I got to watch a video that taught me a lot about decreasing the severity of allergies my kids might end up with.  I don't want them to end up with allergies like mine and our little red head has already started showing signs.  If I can prevent it and decrease the severity that is huge for me.  So we will be saving up to put allergy covers on everyone's mattress and pillows.   Eventually I will probably get an air purifier.  I can't see myself taking away all the stuffed animals right now.  Both kids are very attached to them.  So for now we will stick with the washing in hot water method.  We already limit the number they can have anyway. 
I am really hoping that as we get some of these things done in the bedroom, I will find that I have more energy and that the whole family will have improved sleep. 
Have you ever had a major life adjustment like this?  What did you do to adjust?

No comments:

Post a Comment