Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trucking Kids - Toddler Fun

This week my oldest is off to day camp.  Buddy has never really been away from Princess, so he's feeling a little lost.  To help him, I've been trying to plan special activities that he and I can do together.  I found some ideas on Pinterest (you can find us there as Truck Driving At a Family Level) that we tried this morning.

We have really been working on Buddy's speech development.  He was on the lower end of the charts, but in the last few weeks his speech has just exploded.  So we took out some chalk and drew circles in a circle on the pavement.  I started with three colors because I didn't want him to get to overwhelmed.
 He really enjoyed this and got in with the coloring.  He liked to color the blue in the yellow circle, so we did some color matching.  I told him he was coloring with blue and asked if he could find the blue circle.  He loved this.  So we did it with the other colors.

Once the circles were drawn.  We hopped around the circle and I would say the names of the colors he stepped on.  He loved practicing hopping and would practice saying hop with each one.


Because of the heat we couldn't stay outside that long, so we took a juice break.  The night before I took some of his cars and froze them into an ice block using my glass loaf pan.  So I ran hot water over the sides until the ice block fell out.  Then I set him up in the tub for some water play.
He had so much fun doing this.  We poured warm water over the ice block until his cars came free.  Then he just sat there for about another half hour pouring the water from the warm water bucket to the cold water bucket and back again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment