Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Update on Life

Things have been sooo busy since we have decided to homeschool Princess.   First I felt extremely overwhelmed, even though I knew it was the right decision for her at this point in time.  The knowledge of everything I'm already trying to do with living frugally, running the household, taking care of the kids and supporting my trucker can be overwhelming in itself.  We've got a pretty good routine that keeps me from going crazy most days, but when things like holidays or birthdays interrupt it, it can take a while to get back on track.  So now we are throwing homeschooling into the mix.  So when we first decided this the overwhelming feeling of everything got the better of me.  I started out by prioritizing and making my list.  Trying only to focus on those few things.  It's getting better but there is still a lot to do. 
My big goal is to try to get enough done ahead of time so that when we are in the first couple months of homeschooling all I will have to focus on is that.  I find that transitions tend to go better if I have everything organized, cleaned, etc. 
One of the things I've tried to do is make my own cards this year.  Some come out better than others, but the more I do it the better I get.  It is also a LOT less expensive to make them myself.  So one of my first goals was to get all the cards I would need through December made.  I've just about accomplished that goal.  I think I've got 1 or 2 cards left to make, but I'm currently lacking inspiration so I'm taking a short break from it.
We have also switched to starting to make our own cleaners.  Not only is it less expensive, but it also makes things a little more allergy friendly for us.  I am hoping to have enough made up ahead of time to last me about 2 months. 
I'd like to have everything deep cleaned before we start our homeschooling year.  When we moved Buddy into his big boy bed and redid the kids room we deep cleaned theirs.  Everything was washed from the walls to the toys and we did everything we could to make it allergy friendly.  It was a lot of work, but I'm really happy with the way it came out.  Our air conditioner was broken and replaced today, so while I've got that corner of our living room ripped apart I am going to start deep cleaning the living room. 
I am still experimenting with freezer meals but I'm hoping to have some good, healthier meals frozen for the start of the school year.  I tend to meal plan in spurts.  It is something I'm hoping to put a little more effort into. 
The big bulk of my time right now I've spent trying to plan some dramatic play options and quiet time options for the kids.  Teachers pay Teachers has had some great options which have really saved me a lot of time and most of them I've gotten for free.  I've also gotten some ideas on Pinterest. 
Things will probably be sporadic as we adjust to our upcoming changes but we will be checking in from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment