Monday, June 24, 2013

Lets Start at the Beginning


Over three years ago our little family went from the average regular routine family life style to being at the mercy of the trucking industry. Like most family's in today's day and age truck driving has become a saving grace to me and so many others. Where so many men and women of all ages have found work that does not discriminate. As the head of my house hold when three years ago I was sent into a tail spin when laid off from a steady job of many years. Unemployment was the first stop in the journey for this family as for many other drivers I know. Unemployment has great programs if your willing to jump through the hoops that they require. If driving is the ideal fit for you then it won't be hard at all for you to navigate all the red tape that is in place to keep the unmotivated from moving forward. For me, before I even got started down this road I did a little home work in this area. Everyone knows that doing your homework isn't a whole lot of fun, but in the truck driving world trust me it's a good idea to have some idea or what to expect. My personal favorite was The book the Truth About Truck Driving. This book was written by a man in the industry of truck driving. As a Driver himself Aubrey Allen Smith wrote this incredible book that I must say is a great place to start for any new driver or even drivers of a couple of years that seem to still be missing something. There isn't one thing in this man's book that I haven't found to be true. From companies to dispatchers he was right on the money. You may find his book and lots of other useful info at the following site:  http://www.truthabouttrucking.com/ As my wife and I move forward with this blog as it is a team effort to keep the house going I'm sure we will find lots of things to add, and talk about on here. The point of this blog is to help other families navigate down the road of truck driving and coping with the good weeks and the bad. So keep those wheels turning and safe travels to all you drivers and soon to be drivers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment